With Brush and Pen,
Readings and Conversation with Anita Rau Badami, Lorna Goodison, and
Diane Schoemperlen: A Mutually Reinforcing Cycle
My whole life I've been interested in connecting things that don't
appear to belong together. I wanted to create something out of the
details and objects jostling around in my mind, to ring words out of
my visually intense environment. Visual art always seemed the natural
response when I strained at articulation. I was introduced to collage
early on in elementary school and was compelled to arrange images to
convey my desired meaning. Eventually I began oscillating between
image and text, prompting an interest in how the visual and verbal
function together.
Reading
through The Kingston WritersFest program a few weeks before the
festival, I came upon With
Brush and Pen, Readings and Conversations with Lorna Goodison, Anita
Rau Badami, and Diane Schoemperlen,
all writers who have a parallel practice as visual artists. I can't
describe how excited I was to be in attendance at this event.
All of the writers agreed there's something visually present in all
language, a feeling under words. Anita suggested that “ all writing
should be painterly,” and that there is a, “mutually beneficial
dialogue between literature and painting.” It is interesting to
observe how each writer came to this dialogue between image and text:
Anita recently returned to school to study fine arts, while Lorna
Goodison started out as a visual artist and studied in New York at
the Art Students League, and Diane Schoemperlen is self taught and
has been making collages for many years. Their different approaches
at different times seems to be evidence for the flexibility of
experience and creation. These writers have taken up the invisible
dialogue between the visual and verbal, and incorporated it into
their work. It is a process of capturing, internalizing and
expressing.
A
member of the audience asked, “ what do you want people to look at
first, the illustration or the text?” Each writer agreed it doesn't
matter. It is not the approach that matters but the affect. I'd
further this by acknowledging that one art does not consume the
other— it is a movement. The Roman poet Horace wrote in his Ars
Poetica
(13 B.C) the dictum “Ut pictura poesis”— “as is painting, so
is poetry.” I think he is describing the movement of artistic
composition, the performance of singular parts acting as a whole in
the absence of a frame. The edges may not align exactly, but we can
scissor them to meet in ways that expand our understanding of
creation.
No comments:
Post a Comment